Sunday, March 6, 2016

McMillin & Me

Graduating from the University of Oregon School of Journalism in the mid-70s, I was hired as a reporter at a small weekly newspaper in Brookings, Oregon. Though it was a great experience, both professionally and otherwise, it was clear that my meager salary would not allow me to repay my student loans in a timely fashion.

Pondering a return to the Forest Service, where I had worked seasonally, the salary would be twice what I earned at the newspaper. So I embarked on a road trip to Lake Wenatchee to inquire about positions for the upcoming season. That is when I first met Denny McMillin (above, front row, second from left, and below).

Having previously worked for a couple of seasons on trail crew on the Lake Wenatchee Ranger District, I inquired about wilderness ranger positions.

“Yes,” he said, “we could use you. I need someone to draft a comprehensive wilderness management plan for the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Your knowledge of the wilderness and your experience as a writer will help greatly. When can you begin?”
“Right away,” came my reply. Submitting my two-week notice at the newspaper, I emigrated to Washington for a position as a wilderness ranger. Denny, a key advisor to the district ranger as resource assistant, would become my supervisor for the next five years and a friend for life. He passed away last month at 76.

We had a common background, he and I. We both hailed from adjacent neighborhoods in Portland, Oregon and attended Catholic schools. Later, Denny moved to Fort Collins to pursue a degree in forest management at Colorado State University. After a stint in the military, he joined the Forest Service as a career employee.

A  renaissance man, Denny was equally as adept at electronics as he was crafting “basement beaujolais” in his wine cellar. Very social and engaging, Denny was bold enough to host parties for all his seasonal employees, even the likes of us, and festivities usually featured singing and musical accompaniment led by Char Townley.

In his youth, Denny was an avid outdoor enthusiast and enjoyed rock climbing, hiking and backpacking in the wilds of the Northwest. He worked on the Mt. Hood, Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie and Wenatchee national forests and retired from the USFS as resource assistant on the Wenatchee River Ranger District based in Leavenworth.

In retirement, Denny portrayed, in character, A.H. “Hal” Sylvester, Wenatchee National Forest Supervisor from 1908-31, in a program on Forest Service history in the Wenatchee Valley and environs. He was also an avid golfer. Denny (below, left) will always be an important person in my life, and we will toast his memory.


3 comments:

D. McMillin said...

John, Thanks for the article about Dad, it was a wonderful read and the pictures brought back some of my own memories.

David McMillin

Gonzo said...

David: You're most welcome. Denny was a gentleman and a scholar. And a good friend.

Unknown said...

Herring, thank you for your role as community historian in our multi-dimensioned, multifaceted and life long gathering of motley fools, court jesters, charlatans, gentlemen, scholars, wilderness junkies, and just plain good ol mountain folks.