Sunday, January 5, 2020

Mt. Jefferson: Wilderness Guard

Much like my job as a wilderness guard on the Malheur and Wenatchee National Forests, Mt. Jefferson stands alone in a primitive wilderness that is isolated and difficult to access. The closest access point is a logging road that comes within four miles of the peak. It's all trail from there, and on an uphill incline, I might add.

Growing up in the City of Roses, the first real view I had of Mt. Jefferson was when I was climbing the south side of Mt. Hood. Otherwise, I would see the peak from I-5, or taking the scenic route up to Santiam Pass and down to the McKenzie Valley to Eugene-Springfield, home of the University of Oregon.

I became increasingly interested in climbing Mt. Jefferson as an undergraduate at the UO. As a wilderness guard/ranger/stranger already, I wanted to summit the mountain. You know, bag the peak and pass the grey poupon. Sadly, I came close twice but chickened out at chicken point. Too technical for the gear I had with me.

So I set my sights south to The Three Sisters, which was closer to Eugene-Springfield and McKenzie Pass. Plenty to explore around there. When I was in Boys Scouts, we did a summer trip up the Obsidian Trail at the pass and looped around The Husband and South Sister from the west to the Cascade Lakes Highway. I was sold.


No comments: