Monday, September 27, 2010

Icicle Ridge, 8/20-23: Denouement

What can I say, except for this was another backpacking expedition for the ages, as I'm sure Kelly will agree.

First the learnings: bring trekking poles. Having a third, or even fourth, leg comes in handy. The steadying influence of a trekking pole would have likely averted my fall on Day 1. Next, bring rain (and in this case, snow) gear -- even in August. Turns out foul can occur almost anytime when you're at elevation.

Kelly was chagrined, and rightfully so, at my lack of rain gear. He was quite appreciative, however, that I packed in coffee and vodka, and that I was pretty handy at finding the trail when we lost it.

Next the high points: Having good company along on a trip like this is essential. Kelly and I have been doing this sort of thing together for 30-plus years now, and it never gets old.

Saw some of the most beautiful backcountry on the planet. The spots that were particularly impressive were Carter Lake (with Icicle Ridge in the background, top) and Upper Doelle Lake (bottom).

As they say in Italian, our sojourn along Icicle Ridge was "bellissimo."


No comments: