Saturday, July 16, 2011

Getting Around: From Abenberg To Zugspitze

In Germany, you have a variety of ways to get from Point "A" to Point "Z," not to mention all points in between.

Arriving in Munich, the first thing I noticed was the clean and efficient airport. Unfortunately, the Munich airport turned out to be a full hour cab ride to my hotel in the Altstadt, a 70-euro cruise.

But taxis are only one of many ways to get round in Bavaria: trolleys (above), trains, buses and bicycles are all popular forms of transportation.

Bicycles are particularly ubiquitous (left). Many local residents use the manual two-wheelers to tool around the city.

However, unlike in the U.S., where bike paths are located on the street, Munich's bike routes are located above the curb, between the sidewalk and the street.

Pedestrians must cross the bike path to get to the sidewalk from the street, and bicyclists don't expect you to be walking in their designated lane. It can be dangerous for unsuspecting pedestrians.


Trolleys (above) are an inexpensive mode of transport, but they focus almost exclusively on the city center. The best way to get around is by using the train. The rail system in Munich includes a comprehensive network and trains are the mode of choice for most residents.

One day, Gina and I ventured to the suburbs of Munich by taxi, but took a bus, then a train back to the Altstadt. Very simple, very easy. And did I say affordable?

On our various tours of Bavaria, we rode Grey Line buses. This was my first real exposure to the autobahn, where Mercedes and BMWs would blow by our bus like we were standing still.

I was under the impression that the autobahn was a special, exclusive highway. I was misinformed. In reality, the autobahn is merely an interstate freeway, with the left lane reserved for speed freaks.

On our excursion to the Zugspitze, we climbed aboard a cable car (above) for the ten-minute trip. The ride, which sways from side to side, is not for the squeamish, or those who suffer from vertigo.

On our way down, we rode the cogwheel train, which descends through a tunnel before emerging a third of the way down the mountain to a spectacular view of Lake Eibsee.

Despite the cost, I arranged for a taxi ride to the airport on my way out, primarily because I had my baggage, plus Gina's big bag, to take back to America. The upside was that I received a primer on Hungarian history from my driver, a native of Budapest.

2 comments:

deb brewer said...

Hey John- what fun! I used to ski the Zugspitze when I lived in Garmisch- Partenkirchen. Love your blog! Deb Brewer

Gonzo said...

Thanks, Deb!