Saturday, June 1, 2019

Fun For Sale

A communications challenge facing me in my time in public relations and marketing for Eugene Water & Electric Board (EWEB) was emphasizing use -- and conservation of -- a product that was essentially invisible: electricity. We accomplished that task by addressing end uses, or values, provided by the product.

So, in promoting the sale of my beloved “green hornet,” the focus is fun. Here’s the pitch. For sale: 1999 Mazda Miata, 10th anniversary edition, impeccably maintained, excellent condition, 43,000 original miles, garaged its whole life, automatic transmission, complete records, hands-free stereo, trunk rack included. Asking $7,499.

Having previously owned a 1990 “smurf blue” Miata, I was considering another ride and pondered buying a new one prior to retiring from EWEB when my mechanic suggested a used Miata for sale by one of his other customers. “You’ll want to check this one out,” he said. “It’s in perfect condition.”

Meeting with said customer, I spent some time giving it a gander. I was shocked by two aspects of the vehicle: first, it had logged only 8,000 miles; second, the car featured an automatic transmission. In short, the vehicle was in perfect shape. I inquired, “this Miata has only 8,000 miles and it’s seven years old?”

“Yes,” came the response. “It’s my mother’s car. She’s 96 years old, so I convinced her to give up driving.” I queried: “Did she just drive it to church on Sunday?" He replied, “No, she didn’t go to church. She drove it to the spa once a day.” “Really?” I asked. “What did she have before the Miata?” “A Triumph TR6,” came the response.

So imagine a summer day spent in a Mazda Miata with the top down, warm sun above, and a light breeze on your brow. It’s comfortable, good-looking and practical for a two-seater. Plus, its size, fuel economy and nimble handling make it a useful daily driver. Leave message at (541) 343-8506 if interested in viewing.



No comments: