Monday, September 7, 2009

PCT, 8/28-31, 2009: Denouement

All in all, it was a great trip, though in my case, it was more challenging than it needed to be. Many lessons were learned. Losing the sole off my boot two miles into the hike was a bummer (thankfully, I had camp shoes), and my pack was too heavy at 38 pounds. Packing boot goop might have helped, and a lighter pack would certainly have made things easier.

But views like the shot of Mt. Hinman (above, in the background) made up a bit for the occasional misery when I hit the deck to avoid rolling an ankle. Eating huckleberries, ripe and ready-at-hand, also provided some respite and a good excuse to take a break.

Teo (above, resting amongst the yellow aster in Deception Creek) was a great traveling companion: friendly, curious and full of energy. He provided me and many others along the trail with a much-needed "puppy fix," as Lupe would say, for those like myself who need "dog as our co-pilot."

He also provided a wonderful deterrent for bear or any other critters that might get a wee too close to our campsite.

Facing a detour because of a forest fire after passing Cathedral Rock (above) provided an interesting twist that turned out well for everybody. Plus, we had the opportunity to interact with our counterparts 30 years hence, wilderness rangers for the Cle Elum Ranger District (although I don't remember us being that clean cut).

On our way back to Stevens Pass, Roger and I stopped at the 59er Diner near Lake Wenatchee for a hamburger: needless to say, it was "dee-lish." When we reached Stevens Pass, I spotted our friends from Cathedral Pass coming down off the PCT, so we pulled over and greeted them. "What took you so long," I joked.

Well, that's about it. I'm pleased to report that REI provided me with a $210 credit for a new pair of boots, and the friendly clerk noted that I should be in their "hall of fame."

So, from Owl and 'Roo (below), happy trails to you.


No comments: