Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Y2K: Who Cares?

Nearly 20 years ago, it was a dark and stormy night.... Okay, you've heard it. But not this one. On December 31, 1999, I was sequestered in Eugene Water & Electric Board headquarters for an event that would never happen: Y2K. The end of the world, hellfire and brimstone, dogs and cats living together.... Well, you get it.

After rising early on December 31, 1999, I would spend the next 24 hours hanging with my EWEB homies, biding my time, playing solitaire, staring at the ceiling and the like. In other words, nothing. As the day wore on, my patience wore thin. No beer or nothing. Let's say I wasn't partying like it was 1999.

As midnight approached, I grew more sleep deprived as the clock continued to tick. We all stayed until 2 a.m. on January 1, 2000, just to be sure. If not a computer glitch, we feared terrorist or other boogeymen, so we hung for two more hours. Afterward, it was time for high quality beer, then hit the hay. What a waste.


No comments: